Sunday, March 16, 2014

Review: Pillsbury Gluten Free Pizza Crust

Oh, Pillsbury. You do so many things well, and I'm thrilled that you're getting into the gluten free market. Well, actually, I was thrilled about the pie crust blend, because that makes the best chicken pot pie ever.

Your gluten free pizza dough, sadly, is a bit of a disappointment. I was really excited to give it a shot - after all, Pizza Friday is kind of a twice-a-month event at my house - so I figured it would be worth it, since I'd been so pleased with the pie crust dough.

Don't get me wrong - the pizza crust dough has a great texture. It rolls out beautifully, although the container said I'd get two crusts out of one package, and there's no way on dog's green earth that was going to happen unless I made a pair of five-inch pizzas. Really, it was nice and stretchy and soft, easy to work with, and didn't spring back once it was stretched into place on the pizza pan. Two thumbs up so far.

I baked my crust for a few minutes just to firm it up before I loaded it with toppings, then added my sauce, pepperoni and cheese, and baked it for a few more minutes. When it came out of the oven, it was gorgeous. Look at how pretty it is!

And of course it smelled good, because pizza smells good by its very nature. It even sliced neatly and evenly. In fact, I could tell already that this pizza would be one I could eat with my hands, and not the messy crumbly pile of ingredients that my children refer to as "forkin' pizza." Again, two more thumbs up!

And then I took a few bites, which is where I discovered Pillbury Gluten Free Pizza Dough's fatal flaw.

The problem is not that it has a bad taste or unpleasant flavor. The problem is that it has NO FLAVOR AT ALL.

At first I thought I was imagining this - after all, it's Pillsbury - and figured maybe all my delicious toppings were obscuring the taste of the crust. So I broke off a few bits of un-topped crust from around the edges and nibbled on them by themselves.

Nada. Nothing. Zip.

Like I said, it's not a BAD flavor, it's simply non-existent. There's a bit of a faint aftertaste once I swallowed, which I suspect can be attributed to the millet flour, but in general, it just doesn't taste like anything at all. This crust scored a perfect ten on every other aspect, like texture and consistency, but the absence of any discernible flavor is unforgivable. Don't get me wrong, I did eat all my pizza - because the crust served as a delivery method for all my tasty cheese and pepperoni, but it was a huge let-down.

I've read the reviews on the Pillsbury website, and people have mixed feelings about this product, so I'd definitely suggest trying it for yourself... but only if you don't mind a hit or miss pizza crust. I'm hoping Pillsbury eventually revises their recipe for this and adds something -- anything -- that gives this product some flavor. Because otherwise I know I personally won't be wasting another $4 on a tub of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment