Friday, July 26, 2013

Parmesan & Pretzel Crusted Zucchini

OMG you guys. I found the best veggie lunch snack ever. A co-worker always brings in tons of zucchini every summer because he and his wife can't eat it all, so I brought one home the other day (try walking out of a busy retail establishment with a big zucchini sticking out of the top of your purse some time, really, just try it). I had seen a recipe for zucchini chips and figured I'd make some, but the problem was that it called for bread crumbs.

Now, yeah, I could totally have used gluten free bread, run it through my handy dandy Ninja chopper, and had insta-crumbs.... but I don't usually keep any GF bread on hand. I just don't really like bread that much because it just makes me feel FULL, and I couldn't justify going to the store to buy a loaf that would end up just sitting in my freezer for weeks before I ate the rest of it.

Enter stage left: Glutino brand GF pretzels.

I totally dig these things. They're tasty, and because they're made with rice flour they're nice and light. Toss a bunch in the chopper, and BOOM, pretzel crumbs. I also like a little more seasoning and flavor than what's in the original recipe, so I decided to jazz things up a bit. Okay, so on to the recipe...

PARMESAN & PRETZEL CRUSTED ZUCCHINI

2 lbs zucchini, sliced into 1/4" rounds
1/4 C olive oil
1/4 C Parmesan cheese, shredded
1/4 C pretzel crumbs
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. curry powder

Preheat the oven to 425. Throw your zucchini slices in a big bowl, and add the olive oil. Toss the zucchini so each piece is well coated.

In another bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together. Dip the zucchini slices in the pretzel mix, making sure both sides are well coated. Use your fingers to mush the dry mix onto the zucchini if you need to. Lay the pretzel-coated zucchini slices in a single layer on a baking sheet (I like stoneware myself, because it tends to bake more evenly, but use what you have).

Bake for about 35 minutes, or until they're nice and firm. Give them an extra five to ten minutes if you need to, because no one likes mushy zucchini.

Honest, these are so good that even my kid whose sole vegetable is broccoli really liked them. Amazingly awesome snackage!

No comments:

Post a Comment