Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Garlic & Rosemary Shiitake Mushrooms

When I was a kid, I hated mushrooms. I mean, really hated them. As far as I was concerned, it was the equivalent of eating packing peanuts. Gross! No flavor! Icky!

And then I grew up, and so did my palate. Now I love the darn things, especially since I found out that there are more mushrooms in the world than just those plain old white ones that still DO taste a little like packing peanuts to me. There are Portobellos, and Morels, and Oyster mushrooms. There are Puffball mushrooms, which, if you live in the midwest, you can sometimes score just by going for a hike in the woods each fall.

One of my favorites is the Shiitake mushroom. Partly because my kids and I think it's hilarious to say "Oh, SHIITAKE!" but also because they're delicious. They've got a nice woodsy sort of flavor to them and you can do all kinds of neat stuff with them. Last weekend, I forced invited my family to join me for a day trip down to Jungle Jim's International Market, which is two hours away but totally worth the drive because it's like Disneyland for foodies. Lo and behold, I nabbed a bunch of nice fresh plump Shiitake shrooms, and decided to make them as a side dish for dinner that night. The results were outstanding.

GARLIC AND ROSEMARY SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS


2 Tbs butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 pound of Shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
A handful of fresh rosemary
Salt and pepper

Melt the butter in your saucepan, and then saute the garlic. Before it gets brown, throw in the mushrooms. Stir them around so they get coated in the melted butter, and let them simmer until they're softened but not mushy. Add rosemary, salt and pepper.

Seriously, that's it. That's the whole thing. AND THEY ARE AMAZING.

No comments:

Post a Comment