Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Gluten Free Breakfast Crepes

I'm a big fan of the hearty breakfast. Sometimes, it's my biggest meal of the day, so I feel like it should be a celebration. Lots of proteins, fruits, and whatnots... really, as much stuff as I feel like I need to get me going for the morning.

I've been doing Weight Watchers for the past few months (down 23 lbs in twelve weeks, thanks very much), which is great if you're someone like me who enjoys from-scratch cooking using locally grown and farmed ingredients. I don't usually use their recipes - simply because my idea of cooking is Throw It In a Pot Til It's Done - but I did find one for breakfast crepes that looked intriguing. I substituted a gluten free baking mix for the flour, and reduced the number of servings because the original recipe served eight, and there's no way in halo that I'm feeding eight people breakfast. The results were pretty impressive. If you do WW, this is worth 6 PointsPlus per serving.

BREAKFAST CREPES (serves 2)

3 egg whites
A pinch of salt
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 Tbs melted butter
1/3 C milk (I used 1%, but you could go Skim if you like it)
1/3 C gluten free baking mix
1 C fresh strawberries or bananas, chopped
Powdered sugar

Whisk everything except the fruit and the powdered sugar together in a bowl. It should be a fairly thin mix, way more runny than pancake batter. Spray a bit of non-stick cooking spray in your pan, and then pour half the batter in so the bottom of your skillet is covered. Let it cook for about two minutes, and then flip - the crepe should be a bit rubbery in texture.

Place half your fruit on top of the crepe (on one side, like an omelet) and then let it cook another two minutes. Fold the crepe in half so it looks like a taco. Sprinkle with just a bit of powdered sugar, and then repeat the whole process with the rest of the batter.

These are amazing, and perfect if you're just doing breakfast for two. If you don't have any fresh fruit on hand, you can use preserves or jam. And yes, I totally ate mine with a side of bacon!







No comments:

Post a Comment