Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Baked Squash and Apple Casserole










This is absolutely my favorite thing to bake during the fall harvest season. In fact, I can whip up a batch of this stuff and get at least four meals out of it for myself (no vending machine lunches at work for this girl!), or it makes a great side dish for any meal. I’ll probably bring it to Thanksgiving dinner, just so I don’t have to eat gravy-less mashed potatoes.

I make this with butternut squash because it’s got such a light, sweet flavor. It also works nicely with delicatas, but you need more than one. You could substitute any other squash you love, or even pumpkin for a variation in flavor. Skip the bacon for a vegetarian option.

You’ll need:

1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cubed
1/2 pound bacon, browned and chopped into little bits
1/2 Cup walnuts
1/2 Cup golden raisins
1/2 Cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
1/2 stick butter, cubed
1/2 Cup brown sugar (optional - skip it if you don't like sweet stuff)
A pinch of salt

Mix everything together in a bowl. Dump into a really big greased casserole dish. Bake at 350 for about 45 - 60 minutes, mixing occasionally. Seriously, it’s that easy, and it’s SO GOOD.

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good! I will give it a try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete