Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Bacon Chocolate Cupcakes with Salted Nutella Frosting

I'm pretty sure I have found the dessert equivalent of the Spear of Longinus or the Ark of the Covenant. Nations will crumble, cities will fall, and leaders will be driven to their knees by the awesomeness found herein.

I probably don't need to eat any other food for the entire rest of my life.

Now, that said, I'm not going to bother posting a basic cupcake recipe. Everyone has their favorite, and you can use whichever one you want. Hell, you can even use the Betty Crocker Gluten Free Devil's Food Cake mix as your base. Regardless, whip up a batch of whatever chocolate cupcake batter you love the most. I used the one from Taste of Home in the link below, but I added an egg and used tapioca flour instead of oat flour for a softer, moister cupcake.

As for the Nutella, I like to make my own because it's delicious and it's cheap, but you can use the original store bought brand if you prefer.


Bacon Chocolate Cupcakes With Salted Nutella Frosting

One batch Chocolate Cupcake Batter
Half a pound of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 C butter
1 1/2 C powdered sugar
2 squares Baker's chocolate (2 ounces), melted
1/2 C Nutella
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbs. heavy cream
1/2 tsp salt

Mix your batter according to directions, and blend in the half pound of bacon. You should probably just go ahead and cook a full pound to allow for snackage during the baking process. I did.

Use a batter scoop to fill cupcake tins - I got 18 cupcakes out of this. Bake according to directions on your cupcake recipe.

Once your cupcakes are cool, make the frosting. It will firm up, a bit like a ganache. Melt the butter, and add the powdered sugar and melted chocolate. Mix together using a hand mixer until creamy. Add the Nutella, vanilla, cream and salt, and continue blending. Frost the cupcakes as much as you like - I actually ended up with twice as much frosting as I needed, so you could make half as much.

Or you can eat the rest with a spoon. I'm just sayin'.

1 comment: