Thursday, May 24, 2012

Make Your Own Mayo

So any time I make a comment about making my own mayonnaise, inevitably I get 87 emails from friends along the lines of OMG YOU MAKE YOUR OWN MAYO NOM NOM NOM, so rather than sending out the same response over and over, I figured I'd just post the recipe here.


Why do I make my own mayonnaise? Well, partly because it's amazingly good, and it's cheap. Another reason, though - and this is important - is because some commercially available mayonnaise contains modified food starch. The problem with modified food starch is that unless you know exactly what it's modified FROM (corn, tapioca, rice, etc.), there's a possibility it's made from wheat. Not only that, manufacturers are not required to tell you on the label what the source of the modified food starch is. Thus, I sometimes have a reaction to stuff with modified food starch. Since one of my rules is "better be safe than sorry" (along with "work smarter, not harder"), I tend to skip anything that has modified food starch in it.


Thus, homemade mayo. I like to jazz it up sometimes with things like curry powder, dill, and other good stuff, and I use it as a base for an amazing Remoulade sauce.

Basic Mayonnaise


1/4 C. Eggbeaters
1/4 C. Olive oil
1/2 tsp. mustard (powder)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 C. lemon juice

Add all of these to the bowl of your food processor, and blend together. Then slowly pour in 1 C. canola oil.

That's it. That's mayonnaise. This gives you about a cup and a half of delicious creamy mayonnaisey goodness, and it'll last you about two weeks in a tightly sealed container in your fridge. Try it. It kicks ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment