Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Chebe GF All Purpose Bread Mix

I like to make my own bread and rolls, but since I'm the only GF eater in the house, sometimes it's more work than I feel like putting into it. In a pinch, I like to have some pre-packaged bread mixes in my pantry - I can add some seasonings, a handful of cheese, and go crazy with it. Half an hour later, I have bread. Yay bread!

I had a coupon for Chebe's Gluten-Free All Purpose Bread Mix, and since I was in the mood for hummus, I thought it would be the perfect base for a big ol' honkin' piece of flatbread. If you're unfamiliar with Chebe, it's a Brazilian cheese bread made from tapioca flour. Add some oil, a couple of eggs, milk, and a bunch of cheese, and you're good to go.

I put some together the other night, but because I was going to eat it with hummus and goat cheese, I didn't want to make it with the suggested sharp cheddar. Instead, I omitted the cheese altogether, and blended in a little extra milk, some fresh rosemary and oregano out of my garden, and a clove of mushed garlic. After flattening it out into a big circle, I baked it until golden brown, and it was delicious.

I've used the same mix, with some variations, to make hamburger buns, biscuits, and breadsticks. It's adaptable, and has a nice light fluffy consistency.

Top it with hummus and goat cheese like I did, or dip it in olive oil and garlic. It's pretty darn tasty, and I'll buy it again, even without coupons!

1 comment:

  1. Hi!Is this recipe with the All Purpose mix or the Cheese Bread mix? I'll be making this on Sunday! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete