Sunday, April 29, 2012

Gluten-Free Flour Power

This is something nifty I have to share which comes to you courtesy of my mom (thanks, Patti's mom!), who also has to eat gluten-free goodies. Last fall, the nice folks over at Vegetarian Times magazine did a comparison of some of the different GF flour blends and baking mixes out there, just to see how different brands stacked up. The results? Well, turns out it kinda depends on what you're making.

Vegetarian Times: Flour Power

My one complaint about the article is that the comparison is based on cookies, muffins, and pancakes. If you're someone who uses flours in other stuff, this can be a bit confusing. I'll totally agree that there are some flours and blends I like better than others.

If I'm doing something that involves deep-frying, I like a combination of brown rice flour mixed in with some Bob's Red Mill All Purpose GF Flour. I also prefer Bob's and King Arthur brand for anything that's savory as opposed to baked yummies.

That said, this is a great comparison chart, especially if you like to have mixes and other good stuff on hand in your pantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment